Intro - Philippines Journey

24 April 2014



The time has come for me to share.

My journey to the Philippines. 

I wrote about it a lot in a secret place, thinking maybe I'd publish this wondrous adventure someday.  I already hired Kee as my illustrator, because obviously a work produced by me would have images.  And scratch and lick stickers.  And in work meetings, I doodle design covers and plot graphs, so half of my work portfolio is smeared in Filipino daydreams.

But gradually I stopped wanting to share something that means so much to me with every human in the world.  I want this story to be cherished.  I want it to be a gift to those who are special to me.  And if I do choose to someday publish, I pray that my story finds it's way into the hands of others who would benefit from it.  Plus, such an undertaking takes a lot of effort and writing in private makes me more long-winded, and thus, boring.  And we can't have that. 

Well, if I write here, then I follow a Full House method - short, cute, meaningful message.  And photos.  Which is much more engaging for a reader anyways, so shouldn't I write in a setting that will produce the most optimal story?  So--

I want to share my journey with you right now.  I want to share it all - the rumblings inside of me that spurred me to go; the blind adventures of three Americans flying by the seat of their pants; the night I chose to forgo my best friend's wedding as her Maid of Honor and miss my flight back home; the graphic and unforgettable things I saw; the way I felt calmly at ease amidst such awful destruction; all the times I fell asleep beside Mace, sharing secrets and stories that kept us comforted; the way I fell in love with sleeping on cement; the way I fell out of love with bathing from a muddy bucket; the time I puked all over the ocean; and the time I sat between my two guys in the backseat of an eternal bus ride, and I finally unlocked the most sublime spiritual key of peace.

This is my gift to you.  Because Birthday Week is over so you'll have to stop complimenting me and buying me Ghiradelli Cherry Tango chocolate.  Now it's my turn to give back to you.  Not that this offering is really much of a gift at all, because writing on the wide-open internet and assuming masses of people rejoice about that is actually more haughty.  But I'm going to pretend it's generous so the Pearly Gate interns will put a tally under "Heaven."  I fear I have too many tally's under "Hell," so thanks for letting me exploit you.

Anyway, here's to my raw and unedited and subject-to-a-lot-of-reconfiguring someday book.

My Philippines Journey

Aaaaand I already have tear-stained eyes and a joyous heart.  Mabuhay.

 
Upward and onward,


 



3 comments :

  1. This. This is what I've been waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what we all have been waiting for :]

    ReplyDelete