Moving to the rhythms of your true self

01 February 2015



Over Christmas break, my hometown girls, Chelsea, Steffanie, and I, went to a coffee shop in downtown Boise.  After seating ourselves, Chelsea slid a gift towards me with a giant bow.  I unwrapped the present and found two precious books.  Later that evening, I curled up in my bed, turned on some meditative music for the root chakra, and opened one of the books.  It spoke to me with such vigor, yet grace.  So personal, so honest.

The next day, Chelsea and I went out to lunch and I told her how relevant her literature finds were for me.  She said "of course!  Not only have I known you most of your life, but I walked into the bookstore and prayed to be guided to what your soul needed."  True and true.

 The book is called The Dance - Moving to the Rhythms of your True Self.


"What if the question is not why am I so infrequently the person I really want to be, but why do I so infrequently want to be the person I really am?" 

(more quotes below).

The premise of this book is that instead of constantly being in pursuit of the next improvement or ideal within yourself, just accept what who you are and what is already within you.  Then more of yourself will naturally rise to the surface.  Like aligning with yourself before you align with someone or something else.  That's The Dance.

Isn't there such a irony around self-improvement?  As though our first step is a self-rejection so we can then create something better and beyond.  It's a path of resistance.  But if we first accept that the very person we are today is already enough, then expansion and progression just happens naturally because we're safe to be more of who we already are.  Flowing with the dance of yourself instead of against it.

And same goes for life, relationships, people, careers, children, emotions.  Accept.  Flow with instead of against.  See the good that's already there.  Expand the power that already is.  Let the true sediment rise and see that it's already abundant.  Everything already is enough.

I LOVE that.  So, I would like to study acceptance.  Think about it, talk about it, focus on it.  Just being at peace with all that is.  Myself.  Life.  Relationships.

Remember how I got on a big "compassion" kick last year - here - well, that focus really taught me and permanently changed the way I think and view others.  Now by studying acceptance, I know my mental patterns will also be permanently changed about myself and my reality.  (Starting with this post about accepting emotions here).

I expect a pronounced energy of gentleness and peace to be unlocked.
A greater emotional freedom.
More self-receiving and self-supporting.
A higher connection with My Creator. 


Upward and onward,







More incredible quotes from this book (the first chapter is my favorite!  I've already read it four times):

What if your contribution to the world and the fulfillment of your own happiness is not dependent upon discovering a better method of prayer or technique of meditation, not dependent upon reading the right book or attending the right seminar, but upon really seeing and deeply appreciating yourself and the world as they are right now?

What if there is no need to change, no need to try to transform yourself into someone who is more compassionate, more present, more loving or wise?

How would this affect all the places in your life where you are endlessly trying to be better?

What if the task is simply to unfold, to become who you already are in your essential nature - gentle, compassionate, and capable of living fully and passionately present?

What if the essence of who you are and always have been is enough?  How would this affect how you see and feel about your past?

What if becoming who and what we truly are happens no through striving and trying but by recognizing and receiving the people and places and practices that offer us the warmth of encouragement we need to unfold?

What if you knew that the impulse to move in a way that creates beauty in the world will arise from deep within and guide you every time you simply pay attention and wait?

How would this shape your stillness, your movement, your willingness to follow this impulse, to just let go and dance?

It should not be our intention to change who we are but by intending to be who we are.




1 comment :

  1. I love this – the idea of dancing to your own rhythm and learning to be more in sync with yourself instead of trying to sync yourself with something else.....at least I think that's what you're saying. It's 3am, my head is fuzzy. But this means a lot to me lately – the idea of listening to my gut and my heart and letting that dictate my life, and not measuring it against some external standard or whatever. Yes. Yes.

    ReplyDelete