And in the words of Warsan Shire...

09 March 2015



 
“I belong deeply to myself”



“It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.”



“You want me to be a tragic backdrop so that you can appear to be illuminated, ... You think I’ll be the dark sky so you can be the star? I’ll swallow you whole.”




“and you tried to change didn't you?
closed your mouth more
tried to be softer
prettier
less volatile, less awake
but even when sleeping you could feel
him traveling away from you in his dreams
so what did you want to do love
split his head open?
you can't make homes out of human beings
someone should have already told you that
and if he wants to leave
then let him leave
you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love.”




“the year of letting go, of understanding loss. grace.
the year of humanity/humility. when the whole world couldn’t get out of bed. 
the year i broke open and dug out all the rot with own hands. 
the year of sugar, everywhere. softness. sweetness. honey honey.
the year of being alone, and learning how much i like it. 

the year i made peace and love, right here.” 
 


“make love
like you have no
secrets
like you’ve
never been
left
never been
hurt
like the world
don’t owe you a
single
wretched
thing.”



“later that night
i held an atlas in my lap
ran my fingers across the whole world
and whispered
where does it hurt?
it answered
everywhere
everywhere
everywhere.”




“fit in here, in my palm, in my shadow, don’t be bigger than my idea of you, don’t be more beautiful than i can accept, don’t be more human than i am willing to allow you to be and be quiet, you’re too loud, even your un-belonging is loud. quiet your dreams, your voice, your hair, quiet your skin, quiet your displacement, quiet your longing, your colour, quiet your walk, your eyes. ... why aren’t you shrinking? i think of you often. you vibrate. you walk into a room and the temperature changes. i lean in and almost recognise you as human. but, no. we can’t have that.” 



“Not everyone is okay with living like an open wound. But the thing about open wounds is that, well, you aren’t ignoring it. You’re healing; the fresh air can get to it. It’s honest. You aren’t hiding who you are. You aren’t rotting. People can give you advice on how to heal without scarring badly. But on the other hand there are some people who’ll feel uncomfortable around you. Some will even point and laugh. But we all have wounds.”
 



“The sun is perfect and you woke this morning. You have enough language in your mouth to be understood. You have a name, and someone wants to call it. Five fingers on your hand and someone wants to hold it. If we just start there, every beautiful thing that has and will ever exist is possible. If we start there, everything, for a moment, is right in the world.”



“At the end of the day, it isn’t where I came from. Maybe home is somewhere I’m going and never have been before.” 

“If it’ll keep my heart soft, break my heart every day.”


“But sometimes your light attracts moths and your warmth attracts parasites. Protect your space and energy”

“Perhaps, the problem is not the intensity of your love, but the quality of the people you are loving.” 


Upward and onward,

 

No comments :

Post a Comment