Our One Year Anniversary Celebration

17 August 2016



Ryan and I celebrated our first year anniversary yesterday evening.

It was a better date than I ever could have imagined.

Really, this was a better year than I ever could have imagined.  We bought a house; we have a baby on the way; we are both enjoying and thriving in our careers; we feel really connected to each other and to God.  Life is just as it should be!  And yet we are still set on learning and becoming even more.

I scheduled massages for us right as work was ending.  We met at the massage studio, though I was running late, and though we had massages in separate rooms, we enjoyed meeting up afterwards and sharing our experiences while drinking their insanely refreshing coconut water.

Afterwards we hopped in Ryan's truck, and he announced dinner reservations just a little ways north.  Of course this man of mine would treat me well on our anniversary!  He took me to one of the fanciest restaurants - a new one in town that neither of us had ever stepped foot into - Tiburon.  The lighting was low, design dark, just as fine dining restaurants aim to be.  It's intimate and feel so private.  I laughed with Ryan because while driving to the massage studio with a grumbling stomach, I thought I would suggest Golden Corral for dinner afterwards, haa!  What a joke after finding out this surprise of Ryan's!  He is so good at setting up reservations and planning out evenings for us!

We set down at our table and took little time ordering our food.  For him, steak.  And myself, lamb.  The courses proceeded so fluidly, waiters transitioning our plates and next rounds so seamlessly.  First bread with a red pepperish spread.  Then apple and candied pecan salads.  Then cantaloupe sherbet to cleanse our pallets.  Which I found funny because it was a small orange scoop in a little cup and looked like a true round bite of cantaloupe.  But then you dip your spoon into a melty, sweet ice mixture.  Really delicious.  Then, our entrees.  And hooooly cow.  That was one of the best plates of food I ever had.  The flavors were so intricate.  A blueberry, mushroom, wine reduction on my lamb slices.  A buttery, sugary butternut squash.  A savory, cheesy rissoto.  Beans and squashes.  It was all so layered and rich.  I loved it, and Ryan loved how much I loved it.

We laughed and had great conversation throughout the meal.  Then we returned home where we watched an episode of one of our favorite shows and snuggled on the couch.

Then we retired to bed, where Ryan laid next to me with his hand on my stomach, as he always does, while we read scriptures and talked.  He loves feeling Baby Girl move and squirm.  He sometimes puts his head to my stomach and talks with her.  I love how much he already wants to be connected with her.  He is already an amazing father.  I don't think it would be possible for me to love him any more than I do.  When Baby Girl comes and I see him hold her, I might cave into a bumbling mess of emotion.

Ryan is so perfect for me.  I loved this evening.  A beautiful celebration in honor of us.  I am so focused on how much I love him that I forget I'm an honorary member in this celebration as well.  We have created this splendid relationship together.  I am very, very happy.

And of course, as always, before Ryan drifts off to sleep, he says to me:

Goodnight, Princess.




 

1 comment :

  1. Wow, I can't believe how good you are at expressing yourself through writing! Brings me right back to these experience and makes them so real again. I loved that night! I loved our first year of marriage. And I love our growing little family!

    ReplyDelete