The Spirit of God

09 October 2016



Each day, I feel anticipation towards a certain time available to me. 

Reading my Book of Mormon.

Ever since I really dedicated myself to reading The Book of Mormon a couple weeks ago as more of a feast, and less of a water drip, I have really craved its daily influence (see here).  I look forward to the time each evening when I end my day, and I go to my room to sink back into the large purple pillows on my bed, rest my legs on my white comforter, open the pages of this book, pray out my heart - any fears or disappointments or questions that have arisen that day, and then I open myself to all connections as I read.

It's so comforting for me to know I have this time every day.   No matter where my heart and head are at each day, I can bring them with me in my study and feel some sort of resolve or expansion.   

So many recent experiences with the Book of Mormon have made me rely on the wisdom of Heavenly Father, when I can see now that my reliance was drifting towards the best inspiration of human minds.  There is much in this world that can touch us in a deeper way and bring out the best essence of us.  But there is nothing that is strong enough or grand enough to replace the influence of the Gospel of Christ.  I believe the pull from that source will always be the greatest. And I've found great connection to the authors who share their thoughts about it in The Books of Mormon, finding bits of my world reflected in theirs.

I once read:  The Book of Mormon is like a little piece of all the things that are in God's heart.   A piece of His heart that we can carry around with us and take out and look at whenever we please. And the more we look into His heart, the more our hearts begin to reflect the things in His. 

I can see His reflection more in everything, and I can feel more Spirit in myself.  I know that the Holy Ghost is speaking to my mind and heart in a more attuned manner. I love this quote by Parley P. Pratt:

It - [the Holy Ghost] - quickens all the intellectual faculties, increases, enlarges, expands, and purifies all the natural passions and affections and adapts them by the gift of wisdom to their lawful use.  It inspires, develops, cultivates, and matures all the fine-toned sympathies, joys, tastes, kindred feelings, and affections of our nature.  It inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness, and charity.  It develops beauty of person, form, and features.  It tends to health, vigor, animation, and social feelings.  It invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man.  It strengthens and gives tone to the nerves.  In short it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being.

Yes.  The Spirit - this whole Gospel - makes me feel so grounded, yet so lifted.  So safe with my frailties, yet so powerful and untouchable.  So comforted in my smallest disappointments and fears, yet soaring over the smallness with a really far-reaching and joyful perspective.  It enfolds all of human experience and taps it ten times brighter.

Upward and onward,



image source

1 comment :

  1. I love this. It inspires me to read the Book of Mormon more.

    ReplyDelete